11.27.2011

Confessions of a Mid-Twenties Sewist

Ok friends,

 I have a small confession to make... (don't judge me please).  I like Gossip Girl.  Yes, the dreadfully juvenile, drama-ridden, fabulously costumed show.  (This does have a sewing point, I promise).  I love so many of the dresses on the show.  Blair often wears some of the most wonderful vintage-y style dresses with fantastic accessories and shoes.   Not to mention Serena!  Her bohemian, messy style makes my little heart drool!  If only I were so leggy.   But, I digress... My favorite character on the show is actually not one of the main ones.  This character is always behind the scenes and yet ends up smack dab in the middle of the drama.  My favorite character is Dorota, Blair's maid.  She is wonderful!  She is always holding Blair together at the seams when things seem to be going wrong.  She also tends to meddle when it is needed!  Most of the time she definitely does not get the credit she deserves, but none-the-less very important.


Dorota
Source: Pintrest



So what is the point of this, you ask.  Well the point is... I am also one of those silly girls that insists on naming everything!  I mean honestly, how can you spend so much time with something without giving it a name.  (Plus, then you have someone to swear at when it doesn't turn out right.)  As you may have guessed, I have named something Dorota... my fabulous Serger!  She is a bit older than the rest of the gang.  She was given to me by my Grandmother.  But she is always behind the scenes, holding things together.  She is an old girl, but she purrrrs quite nicely.

Dorota

But, wait!  There is more!!

What would a serger be without a sewing machine?!

A little more about my personal life.  I mentioned in my very first post that I work nights.  That is because I am a nurse.  Now let me tell you, nursing school is no walk in the park!  So, after I graduated I treated myself with something after getting my first awesome paycheck.  I bought a sewing machine!  I can't even tell you the giddy bubbling in my soul when I walked out of Montavilla Sewing Center in Portland, carrying my first big purchase.

Elphaba


So what is her name you ask?!  Well... (get ready for another story)  Probably one of the greatest experiences of my life was traveling Europe with two of my besties (little shout out to Mathis and Deborah Faye).  While in London, we decided it would be horrific if we didn't take the opportunity to see a show in London's Theater district.  To our extreme delight, they were currently showing Wicked.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  Best.  Show.  Ever!!!  Loved it.  Lovedloveloved it!  The music was incredibly inspiring, the costumes were fantastic!  And the actor who played Boq was a Scottish lad with an accent.  Perfect.  Who was my favorite character, you may ask...  Elphaba of course!  She was phenomenal!  She sings a song with the words that "every one deserves a chance to fly"  speaking that every one really deserves the chance to achieve their dreams.  This is why I named my sewing machine Elphaba.  I dream of learning to sew really really well.  To make myself clothes that others drool over!  So here is to my dream!

Elphaba
Source: Pintrest
What about you?  Do you have names for your sewing machines, or am I the only one?  Please, do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment