11.18.2011

Whining about linings

Pendrell+Blouse+Envelope+Front.jpg
The Pendrell Blouse
So, you know the whole "seam-rip" part oF the blog?  Yeah, I definitely end up doing quite a bit of that.  Tonight will be no exception!  But let me start at the beginning...

img_18001.jpg
Burda Pattern 8155
I have learned a lot of the sewing techniques from blogs etc. but I have to give huge credit to my Grandmother.  My dad's mom was a seamstress by trade.  She was the first person to introduce me to sewing.  Very recently she has passed away and in honor of her and our mutual love of sewing, I decided to sew an outfit for my grandmother's funeral.

I found a burda skirt pattern for a high-waisted pencil skirt, and then I used Tasia's Pendrell blouse pattern for the top.  Both have turned out fairly well, but true to my style, they have both been a learning experience.



Catch-stitching the hem.
One of the largest learning experiences has been on hemming the skirt.  I have really started to enjoy hand sewing.  I first catch-stitched to fashion fabric to hem the skirt, and then I had plans to fell-stitch them lining to the hem.  I measured, pinned, and began to fell-stitch the lining.  I completely finished fell-stitching and was so proud of myself (because really, it was like 4-5 hours of hand stitching to both hem and fell-stitch)!!  This morning when I put on the skirt for the first time, I noticed something that I hadn't seen when just holding up the skirt...  the lining definitely wasn't properly lined up, and the skirt bottom is bubbling.  This was definitely not the look I was going for.

After thinking about it for a minute, I realized that I really probably shouldn't have stitched the lining the the skirt across the whole bottom.  The skirt has a split up the very back center seam, and I think stitching the lining to the skirt at the slit is a good idea, but I think the bottom should just be free to hang as needed.  Yeah...  oops.  So, I will probably be doing some seam ripping tonight!

Yup, sew... seam-rip... and repeat!

4 comments:

  1. So sweet of you to do something like this skirt in memory of grandma. I sure wish that she could have spent some "quality time" with you sharing her extensive knowledge of tailoring with you. She would have been in 7th heaven and you would have learned SO much from her!
    I am SO proud of you and you are making some beautiful creations! Can't wait to see what surprises are in store for us in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mom :) I wish I could have learned more from her too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's wonderful that you are making the outfit in honour of your grandmother, I'm sure it would have made her very happy.
    I don't sew much myself (used to but recent projects have been huge fails) but I think the reason why a skirt/dress lining is not attached to the skirt at the hem is that whenever you move around it would pull at the skirt fabric.
    I seem to remember that you can attach the bottom of the side seams (or maybe an inch or so higher?) to the skirt side seam but not by stitching it directly together but attaching a short length of thread. You may be able to see that in commercially made skirts. I think you can use your sewing thread and just crochet up a couple of inches, then you can sew in this triple strength thread.
    I hope this makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giselle,

    What a great idea! Thank-you, I wouldn't have thought of crocheting the thread and attaching at the seams. I just might have to give that a try. Thank-you so much for stopping by! Hope to see you back again. And, give sewing another try :) Epic fails sure can be discouraging, but when it does turn out right... hot damn!

    ReplyDelete