7.07.2013

Cherry Cola Coat: aka My Minoru

So, I made this jacket AGES ago.  And I kept promising to post about it.  Whoops.  Well, better late than never.

Things I love:

I love how easy this coat was to sew up! It really went rather quickly, and the instructions were so easy to follow. Tasia did it again!



I love the fabric that I used :) I was a little worried about the fabric at first.  I have always loved the print.  I bought the fabric online, and I know what cotton canvas feels like, but I was still a little nervous when it came in the mail I kept thinking "oh man, is this going to make a good jacket?  Is the fabric going to be right?"  But after it all came together, it was so great!  I love how vibrant the colors are, and the pink pops of cherries make me smile!

I changed a few things.  I added pockets, although I should have made them on my muslin as well, because I didn't get the height of the pockets just right.  I used the pocket pattern from the Peony and just stuck it right in the side seams.



I also couldn't quite find the right zipper length that I wanted, so to compensate, I didn't put the zipper all the way to the top of the collar.  Instead, I added these FABULOUS buttons that came from my grandma's button stash that I inherited!

Aren't they freakin' amazing?!?!

Things I would change next time:

I wouldn't line the whole thing with shiny, slippery fabric.  I would line only the sleeves with slippery fabric.  I don't really love opening up the zipper and seeing the high gloss fabric peeping out at me.  I think I would prefer a matte fabric.



I would sew in the waist elastic during the muslin phase.  I didn't do this, I just drew on the line, and it looked great, and in the final project it is so close, but I would have dropped the elastic down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.


I would decrease the size of the hood.  It is too tall on me!  Haha, when I actually pull the hood out to wear, it is so tall that the front flops down over my eyes.  I would also definitely not recommend using a slipper fabric to line the hood.  Bad plan.  It slips on my hair, so the hood has real trouble staying up.  So either my hood is falling off my head or over my eyes.  Ugh.

But, all those changes aside, I love this jacket!  I wear it all the time!  It is so cheery, and I get compliments on it all the time :)

Below are a few photos from our Engagement Session.  Almost my entire outfit can be credited to Sewaholic patterns *grins*  Minoru Jacket and Renfrew top.  Two of my favorites combined!  All photos were taken by Brandon Witzel.  He took both our engagement and wedding photos!  He did such an amazing job :)  If you live in the Portland, Oregon or LA, California area, look him up!









1 comment:

  1. Love the coat, the cherries are so fun and the engagement photos are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete